Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Speaking of time...

Took yet another trip down the "Daggum, I'm getting old" road tonight...

I love remakes of old songs. Now, granted, the remakes rarely have the quaility of the originals, but I appreciate artists paying their tributes to their idols and putting their twists on the originals. I especially appreciate the effort it takes to switch a song's identity, whether taking it from one genre to another or by switching genders of the performers. To this point, for the most part, I remember the original songs, but I don't remember when the originals were the new version...

Until now.

I was helping Jessica clean up the supper dishes and we had the radio on. I heard a familiar tune begin, and then realized I recognized the voice- it was Carrie Underwood. I then realized... I knew the words- the song is called "I Told You So." Three things went through my mind.

1) I loved this song....

2) Back when Randy Travis sang it...

3) No way it's been long enough to be remade!!!!

I then realized the song came out around 1988 (1987 was the release date for the album "Forever and Ever"), and that was... gulp... 21 years ago now! For the first time, I flashed back to the day I bought the original cassette and playing it in my room and, later, in my first truck...

Time.... where's it goin'?

No comments: