Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Time?

Where does the time go? January is almost gone, Riley turned 3 months yesterday (pictures to come) and Jax will be 17 months on Saturday. He has doubled his tooth count since Christmas. Calen and I began our third quarter of school on Monday. That two week "break" certainly went by fast. Calen spent a week with my parents; enjoying the snow...and candy...and staying up late...and sleeping in. It's a wonder he came back, oh yeah, he didn't really want to. Right now he's doing his math, addition; counting change, and counting volume. He said he didn't "need my instructions or help." He could "do it by himself." He is.

I am well in birthday planning season. Calen's birthday is on the 22nd. We will have family over after church for dinner and cake. He can open a couple presents to help hold him over until his party on March 7th. We are praying the weather will cooperate and be warm. This year he is having a pirate party! I have lots of fun activities planned for the kids, hence the hoping for the outdoor party. I am also taking on his cake- a 3-D pirate ship complete with deserted island. I even have Jax and Riley's planned out, too. Of course, with a two and one year old, we don't need nothin' too fancy.

Some Calenisms from the past couple days.

On Sunday, on our way home from church, Calen wanted to know when we would have "breakfast again at church." At first Danny and I thought he was talking out our Sunday school class. We have a potluck breakfast the first Sunday of every month. Then it hit me he was talking about the Lord's Supper. When we asked he said, "Yes, that's what I'm talking about, the Lord's Supper." "Why?" I asked. "Because I wanted to know, " he said. "Are you excited about getting to do it next time?" I said. "YES! I can't wait to drink wine. I've never had wine before, and I'm excited to try wine." Danny said, "It's really grape juice." To this Calen replied somberly, "Oh, well, I've had grape juice before." Nothing else was said about it.

Monday evening Danny had a meeting to attend. Jax was in bed, and Calen was holding Riley. Calen had taken her down in the floor and was playing with her. He had said he loved her so I began to ask him some questions, "What do you love most about Riley?" Calen, "She my baby sister, and she's soooo cute." "What do you love most about Jax?" "He looks just like me, we're twins. Almost identical twins." What do you love most about mommy?" "You home-school me." "What do you love most about Daddy?" "He's a doctor that helps people get better." "What do you think you would like to be when you grow up?"

This question opened a can of worms. "I want to be a teacher like you, well, I want to be a doctor like daddy, too. I want to be a doctor and teacher. How can I be a doctor and home-school my kids?" Inhale. We began to discuss ways he could be both a doctor and a homeschooling dad. He's five! Why are we having this discussion.

I happened to notice that his lip was quivering and turned upside down. I asked him what was wrong. "Do I have to leave this family when I grow up?" Inhale deeply. I explained to him that he would always be a part of this family, even if he had his own. I wanted to tell him that he never had to leave, but knew we needed to have an honest discussion. I explained that as he grew up he would want to leave. He would want to go away for school. He would meet a girl and want to have family.

"Well, that's what scares me," he said. "What scares you?" I asked. "It's the kissing part. I'm nervous about kissing. I don't think I like that." I laughed and hugged him tightly. I told him that he needn't worry about that, and that as he gets older that will change. I told him he had a long time until he would think about leaving. He asked for a number, and I threw out 20. "That's not that long," he said. "Yes, it is. You have lots of time," I told him. "No, I'm five. Five, ten, fifteen, twenty. It's not that long at all." We continued this discussion for well over 30 minutes, most of it with him in my lap, sniffing, wiping tears and us hugging. Our children's hearts are amazing. And he's right, it's not that long...

Just a note for anyone interested. I've also started a new homeschool blog. In addition to blogging about our homeschool journey; I'll also be posting fun experiments, lessons, field trips, lapbooks, etc. The blog is www.homeschoolblogger.com/forhisglory

No comments: